I am a little addicted to this gorgeous concoction I have to tell you! It is a lovely balance of sweet and green and creamy. It fuels and fills me up ready to tackle whatever the day has in store.
If you are looking to add, or try green smoothies, then this one is a delicious way to get started. The combination of coconut milk and avocado gives an almost mousse like texture, so thick and luscious you almost need a spoon to eat it! By adding in a little maple syrup and vanilla, you balance out the earthy flavours of the avocado and spinach with a subtle sweetness many of us need to add (massive sweet tooth right here good people).
You can always add other fruits to this if you like – berries, banana, mango – all of these are absolutely delicious in a lassi style drink like this, so make sure you experiment!
Here is the recipe I use – I posted it recently to instagram, but thought it would be nice to have in a recipe card here also.
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk, chilled
- ½ cup coconut milk, chilled
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, fresh or frozen
- 1 small or ½ large avocado, flesh only, fresh or frozen*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or preferred sweetener)
- 2 teaspoons maca powder (optional)
- ½ cup ice cubes (optional depending on how cold you prefer your smoothies)
- Chia seeds to garnish (optional)
- Using a powerful blender, add the milks & spinach to the jug & blend in high speed until the spinach is completely broken down.
- Add the remaining ingredients & blend again on high speed until smooth & creamy.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chia seeds.
My experience with smoothies like these is that the colder they are, the less 'GREEN' they taste. If you want more of the sweetness, make sure you freeze the ingredients overnight or longer, or add the ice cubes when blending.
There you have it, one of my favourite ways to start the day, or kick that 3pm fade out in the butt! Even my children like this one and they avoid almost anything green – that tells me it MUST be delicious! I hope you like it as much as we do!
Do you partake in the odd green smoothie style drink? What is you favourite?
Cook! Eat! Enjoy!