Recipe type: Spread
Cuisine: Modern Australian
Serves: 500 grams
- 3 cups cashew nuts
- 5 tablespoons flax seed (linseed), ground
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Spread cashews in single layer over a large baking tray.
- Dry roast for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool.
- Grind the flax seed to powder using a coffee or nut/seed grinder, or mortar & pestle,
- Using a food processor, add cashews & blitz until broken down - about 40 seconds.
- Add the ground flax & vanilla extract & continue blitzing until oils are released & a thick paste forms, scraping down the sides from time to time.
- Be patient, this will take about 10 minutes*.
- Taste & if you feel it needs a little sweetness, add the maple syrup & blitz again until well combined - (I personally did not feel it needed it, but it is up to you).
* - the oils in nuts take time to release, so don't give up. It will become lumpy & dry, them form a ball & then all of sudden you will see it form a paste & you are done.
Store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Recipe by Fresh Home Cook at http://freshhomecook.com/blog/2015/04/16/flashew-butter/