Chai Spiced Quinoa Porridge
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- Chai Spice Mix
- 1 star anise
- 3 cardamon pods
- 3 cloves
- ½ teaspoon finely grated or thinly sliced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To finish
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 fresh figs, quartered
- 4 teaspoons flaked almonds
- maple syrup to taste
- Using a coffee grinder or similar, grind the star anise, cardamon pods & cloves to powder.
- Using a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, add the spice mix, grated ginger, almond milk, water & vanilla extract & mix until well combined.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, then remove from heat & strain milk mix through a fine sieve into a mug or heat proof jug to remove spice residue.
- Return the strained milk mix to the saucepan & over medium heat, add the quinoa flakes.
- Allow to simmer, stirring constantly until the flakes soak up the liquid & resemble a thick porridge (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Transfer the porridge to serving bowls.
- Top each serve with ½ cup coconut milk. 1 fresh fig, 2 teaspoons almond flakes & a good swig of maple syrup.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe by Fresh Home Cook at http://freshhomecook.com/blog/2015/03/26/chai-spiced-quinoa-porridge/