Carrot & Macadamia Cake
Recipe type: Snacks
Serves: 12 slices
- 1⅓ cups gluten free plain flour (I used White Wings)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 scant teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup unrefined sugar (I used Rapadura)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup light flavoured vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius (non fan-forced).
- Lightly grease & line a 20cm square or round cake tin with baking paper
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon & nutmeg.
- Stir in the xanthan gum & grated carrot.
- Make a well in the centre & set aside.
- In medium bowl whisk sugar & eggs until well blended.
- Gradually whisk in the oil until well mixed & glossy
- Pour wet mix into well in dry mix & stir until just combined.
- Gently fold through macadamia nuts & orange zest.
- Pour batter into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for about 1¼ hours - keep close check after about 1 hour, all ovens cook differently.
- Cake is cooked when skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in tin for about 5 minutes.
- Run flat blade around the outside of the cake before turning out onto wire cake cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before adding frosting.
- Place all ingredients in large bowl & mix together until well combined.
- Spread frosting onto top of cake using icing knife or flat bladed implement.
Recipe by Fresh Home Cook at http://freshhomecook.com/blog/2014/10/10/carrot-macadamia-cake/