Healthy Fried Rice
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 rashers lean bacon, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced into small pieces
- ½ red capsicum, diced into small pieces
- 8-10 green beans, finely sliced
- 1 cob sweet corn kernels
- ¼ cup gluten free soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar - (I use Rapadura)
- fresh bean shoots to garnish (optional)
- Cook the basmati rice - I use 1 cup rice to 2 cups of water in my rice cooker. (if you don't have a rice cooker, just prepare the rice on as per the instruction on the packet).
- While the rice is cooking, prepare your vegetables, finely chopping everything into around pea* size chunks.
- Roughly dice the bacon.
- Prepare your marinade by combining the soy sauce, sesame oil & sugar in a jar / leak proof container. Put on the lid & shake vigorously until well combined.
- Once the rice is cooked, line a wide, flat baking tray with foil & spread the rice out in a single layer. This will help keep is from becoming clumped when added to the rice mix.
- Allow the rice to cool for about an hour before using if possible - even longer if you have time.
* - you can of course use fresh or frozen peas in this, it tends to be a more traditional addition, but I have to confess I am not a fan of peas, so use green beans instead. Totally up to you though!
Recipe by Fresh Home Cook at http://freshhomecook.com/blog/2014/10/17/healthy-fried-rice/