With the school holidays upon us, the FHC household had lots of big plans – all of which have been thwarted by illness the entire week. Somewhere between chest infections, sore throats, school sores and snotty noses we have all succumb to one ailment or another, leaving us all quite miserable and depleted, but trying to make the most of the time together without the rush and bustle of getting up and going in the mornings.
As we have been somewhat housebound, the kids wanted to do some baking, which I am always up for, so we threw these gorgeous treats together before snuggling on the couch with hot chocolates and warm cookies to watch Frozen for about the trillionth time – but I am not complaining, baking and snuggles are two of my favourite things to do!
Thankfully, we are all on the mend now, for which some credit must be paid to these toasty treasures I am sure, and looking forward to some fun activities in week two of the holidays.
These oh-so-moreish cookies came together based on the kids request for something with chocolate in it. I grabbed some staples from the pantry and off we went. The end result is toasty, crunchy, with the crumble of coconut and the luscious richness of gooey dark chocolate.
To keep them free from gluten, I used my favourite Gluten Free Flour Mix – a printable is available for you to download here – and desiccated coconut. To eliminate the dairy and keep them truly tummy friendly, I used coconut oil. This oil is such a great alternative to butter, the texture is very similar and it blends beautifully with sugar to make a creamy mix just perfect for cookie baking! Throw in the bitter sweet divinity of dairy free dark chocolate pieces and indulgent macadamia nuts and you have a comforting snack that is ridiculously hard to resist going back for over and over.
Here is how we made them;
- 110 grams coconut oil, room temperature
- 200 grams unrefined sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 210 grams gluten free flour mix
- 125 grams desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- small pinch sea salt
- ¾ cup dark cooking chocolate, roughly chopped or chips (dairy free)
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line 2 or 3 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix the coconut oil & sugar until well combined.
- Add the egg & mix again to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, coconut, baking powder, baking soda & salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mix to oil mix & combine over low speed.
- Add the chocolate & macadamias & fold through on low speed, or with large spoon.
- Roll dough into generous tablespoon size balls & place on baking tray.
- Gently flatten & shape into circles, about 1.5 cm thick.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. (Bake a little longer if you like them crunchier).
- Allow to cool on baking tray for about 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
There you have it – the latest in a glut of cookie baking that has been going on around here lately! I hope you like them as much as we do.
How are the school holidays treating you so far? Are Winter bugs slowing your household down?
Hit me with your favourite housebound family activities.
Cook! Eat! Enjoy!